What is Silica Gel?
Silica gel is a drying and dehumidifying agent (known as a desiccant) that can be used to protect your valuables and supplies from moisture damage by absorbing and trapping water vapour in the air, lowering the relative humidity (RH) below 30%. When used in sealed spaces, this lowered humidity will help prevent the formation of rust, mould & condensation, and will also decrease spoilage rates in food products & pharmaceuticals.
- 2 grams of silica gel packaged in Tyvek sachets, that are dust-free, tear & puncture resistant.
- Non-corrosive; safe for use with sensitive goods, such as electronics.
- Non-toxic, odourless, chemically inert and does not form by-products.
- Can adsorb up to 40% of its weight in moisture.
- Always remains dry to the touch; silica gel will not feel wet or swell in size as it adsorbs moisture.
- Packet dimensions: 55 x 20 x 8 mm.
Packet Material - Tyvek
Tyvek is light-weight, tear resistant, low-linting, has a smooth surface, contains no harmful substances and is resistant to chemicals, abrasion & aging. In addition, the fabric is also water-proof, but does allow water vapour to pass through it. Tyvek also meets the requirements of the U.S Food & Drug Administration for use in direct contact with food and drugs.
Tyvek is a product of the US DuPont Company consisting of nonwoven spun bond olefin fibre. It is made by spinning and tightly bonding small polyethylene (PE) fibres to produce high density polyethylene (HDPE) fibre.
Desiccant packaged with Tyvek is applied in storage, military, shipping and many other industries that require dehumidifying applications.
Applications & Uses
- Tool Boxes
- Gun Safes
- Camera Gear
- Food & Grain
- Leather Products
- Camping Gear
- Sporting Gear
- Fishing Gear
- Hunting Gear
- Telescopes & Optics
- Musical Instruments
Packets need to be reactivated/replaced after their weight has increased by 25-30%. Alternatively, humidity indicator cards can be used to determine whether or not the packets are saturated. Once you have determined that the packets are saturated, they can be reactivated using a conventional oven.
Reactivation instructions are as follows:
- Place the silica gel packets on an appropriate metal or glass oven-proof tray – avoid placing packets on top of each other, as this may cause uneven drying of packets.
- Put the tray into the oven and heat packets for 3 hours at 105°C (fan-forced) – do not pre-heat oven. Gradually heating packets ensures that they don’t bust during reactivation.
- Remove tray from oven and allow packets to cool before handling them – they will be hot.
- Once cooled, check to see if the packets have returned to their original weight. If they haven’t, place back into the oven for an additional hour.
- After you have ensured the packets have been successfully reactivated, place packets into an air-tight container/bag until ready to use.
|Dimensions||55 x 20 x 8 mm|
|Net Weight||2 grams|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Silica Gel Store users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.