Silica gel is a reusable drying and dehumidifying agent (known as a desiccant) that adsorbs and traps water vapour to effectively prevent rust, corrosion, mould, mildew, spoilage, fogging and condensation when used within closed spaces.
Unlike some other desiccants, silica gel does not become wet, or swell in size as it adsorbs moisture. It is also, non-corrosive, odourless, chemically inert, has a low dust emission rate, high crush strength and does not form by-products. In addition, silica gel can adsorb up to 40% of its weight in moisture before needing reactivation
Orange & White Mix
Contains a mix of orange & white silica gel at a ratio of 1:4 respectively, providing a cheaper - and still effective alternative to 100% orange indicating silica gel.
The orange indicating silica gel in this mix will gradually turn green as it adsorbs moisture, eventually turning dark green once the silica gel has reached 60-70% of its adsorption capacity, making it easy to tell when the silica gel needs to be replaced or reactivated – unlimited reactivation cycles are possible.
The white non-indicating silica gel contains no indicating dye, and therefore will not change colour as it adsorbs moisture.
Applications & Uses
Orange silica gel can be used where processes and products need to be protected from the negative effects of humidity & moisture, such as:
Tool Boxes • Gun Safes • Camera Gear • Electronics • Laboratories • Leather Products • Collectibles • Jewellery • Camping Gear • Sporting Gear • Fishing Gear • Hunting Gear • Clothing • Wardrobes • Telescopes & Optics • Photos • Documents • Musical Instruments • Silverware
Once the silica gel has reached its adsorption capacity, as indicated by the dark green appearance of the indicating beads, it can be easily reactivated with any conventional oven:
- Pre-heat oven to 105-115°C.
- Place silica gel in an appropriate metal or glass oven-proof tray - try and keep the silica gel layer to a thickness of less than 2 inches as this allows it to dry faster and more evenly.
- Once the oven is at the correct temperature, place the tray of silica gel into the oven for approximately 2-3 hours.
- Check to see if the all the indicating beads in the mix have returned to their original colour, orange. If they have, move onto step 5. If they haven’t, simply keep them in there until they have.
- Wait for the silica gel to cool before handling it as it will be extremely hot. Once cooled, it can be placed back in the moisture barrier bag/pail that it came in, or in any other air-tight space.
|Bead Diameter||2-5 mm|
|Type||Mix (Indicating: 20%), (Non-Indicating: 80%)|
|Colour||(Orange - Green) & White|
|Indicating Dye||2.5% Methyl Violet|
- Uses a mix of orange & white silica gel at a ratio of 1:4, providing a cheaper - and still effective alternative to 100% orange silica gel.
- The orange indicating beads in the mix will turn dark green when the silica gel is full of moisture.
- Reusable - can be reactivated over & over again using any conventional oven or microwave.
- Remains dry to the touch, even when full with moisture.
- Beads will not change their form or swell in size as they adsorb moisture.
- Can adsorb up to 40% of its weight in moisture.
- Lowers humidity in closed spaces to approximately 35-40%.
- Works in temperatures of between 10 & 90°C but is most effective around 20-32°C.
- Bead diameter of 2-5mm.
- High crush strength.
- Low dust emission rate.
- Chemically inert.
- Does not form by-products.
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Silica Gel Store users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.