What is Silica Gel?
Silica gel is a reusable drying and dehumidifying agent (known as a desiccant) that can be used to protect your valuables and supplies from moisture damage by adsorbing and trapping water vapour in the air, lowering the relative humidity (RH) below 30%. When used in sealed spaces, this lowered humidity will help prevent rust, corrosion, mould & condensation.
- Beads contain an indicating dye that will change colour based on how much moisture they have adsorbed – turning from ORANGE when dry, to DARK GREEN when saturated.
- Packaged in a heat-sealed, resealable (zip-lock) moisture barrier bag. Larger weights (7.5kg, 15kg) come in resealable buckets. 25kg option comes in large string-sealed bags.
- Bead diameter of 2-4mm.
- Reusable; can be safely reactivated over and over again using a conventional oven. (see reactivation instructions below)
- Non-corrosive and has a low dust emission rate, making it safe for use with sensitive goods, such as electronics.
- Odourless, chemically inert and does not form by-products.
- Does not contain cobalt chloride (used in blue silica gel).
- Can adsorb up to 40% of its weight in moisture before needing reactivation.
- Always remains dry to the touch; silica gel will not feel wet or swell in size as it adsorbs moisture.
Indicating Dye: Orange - Dark Green
Orange indicating silica gel will gradually turn green as it adsorbs moisture, eventually turning dark green once the silica gel has reached 60-70% of its moisture holding capacity, making it easy to tell when the silica gel needs to be replaced or reactivated – unlimited reactivation cycles are possible.
Applications & Uses
- Tool Boxes
- Gun Safes
- Camera Gear
- Breathing Filters in Transformers
- Leather Products
- Camping Gear
- Sporting Gear
- Fishing Gear
- Hunting Gear
- Telescopes & Optics
- Photos & Documents
- Storage Units
- Musical Instruments
Once orange silica gel has reached its adsorption capacity, as indicated by its dark green appearance, it can be easily reactivated with any conventional oven.
Reactivation instructions are as follows:
- Pre-heat oven to 105-115°C.
- Place silica gel in an appropriate metal or glass oven-proof tray - try and keep the silica gel layer to a thickness of less than 2 inches as this allows it to dry faster and more evenly.
- Once the oven is at the correct temperature, place the tray of silica gel into the oven for approximately 2-3 hours.
- Check to see if the all the beads have returned to their original colour, orange. If they have, move onto step 5. If they haven’t, simply keep them in there until they have.
- Wait for the silica gel to cool before handling it as it will be extremely hot. Once cooled, it can be placed back in the moisture barrier bag/pail that it came in, or in any other air-tight space.
|Bead Diameter||2-4 mm|
|Colour||Orange - Green|
|Indicating Dye||2.5% Methyl Violet|
- Contains an orange indicating dye which will turn dark green to indicate when the silica gel beads are full with moisture.
- Reusable - can be reactivated over & over again using any conventional oven or microwave.
- Remains dry to the touch, even when full with moisture.
- Beads will not change their form or swell in size as they adsorb moisture.
- Can adsorb up to 40% of its weight in moisture.
- Lowers humidity in closed spaces to approximately 35-40%.
- Works in temperatures of between 10 & 90°C but is most effective around 20-32°C.
- Bead diameter of 2-4mm.
- High crush strength.
- Low dust emission rate.
- Chemically inert.
- Does not form by-products.
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Silica Gel Store users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.