Silica gel is a reusable drying and dehumidifying agent (known as a desiccant) that adsorbs and traps water vapour to effectively prevent rust, corrosion, mould, mildew, spoilage, fogging and condensation when used within closed spaces.
Unlike some other desiccants, silica gel does not become wet, or swell in size as it adsorbs moisture. It is also, non-corrosive, odourless, chemically inert, has a low dust emission rate, high crush strength and does not form by-products. In addition, silica gel can adsorb up to 40% of its weight in moisture before needing reactivation
Blue Indicating Dye
Blue indicating silica gel will gradually turn purple as it adsorbs moisture, eventually turning light pink once the silica gel has reached 60-70% of its moisture holding capacity, making it easy to tell when the silica gel needs to be replaced or reactivated – unlimited reactivation cycles are possible.
Applications & Uses
Blue silica gel can be used where processes and products need to be protected from the negative effects of humidity & moisture, such as:
Tool Boxes • Gun Safes • Camera Gear • Electronics • Laboratories • Leather Products • Collectibles • Jewellery • Camping Gear • Sporting Gear • Fishing Gear • Hunting Gear • Breathing Filters in Transformers • Clothing • Wardrobes • Telescopes & Optics • Photos • Documents • Musical Instruments • Silverware
Once blue silica gel has reached its adsorption capacity, as indicated by its light pink appearance, it can be easily reactivated with any conventional oven:
- Pre-heat oven to 105-115°C.
- Place silica gel in an appropriate metal or glass oven-proof tray - try and keep the silica gel layer to a thickness of less than 2 inches as this allows it to dry faster and more evenly.
- Once the oven is at the correct temperature, place the tray of silica gel into the oven for approximately 2-3 hours.
- Check to see if the all the beads have returned to their original colour, blue. If they have, move onto step 5. If they haven’t, simply keep them in there until they have.
- Wait for the silica gel to cool before handling it as it will be extremely hot. Once cooled, it can be placed back in the moisture barrier bag/pail that it came in, or in any other air-tight space.
|Bead Diameter||3-5 mm|
|Colour||Blue - Pink|
|Indicating Dye||0.5% Cobalt Chloride|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Silica Gel Store users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.